Large Format in the Pyrenean
What is the advantage of large format? Does it match me? How to equip yourself without breaking the bank? How to start without getting discouraged? Richard Petit regularly uses a 4x5" camera for his artistic practice, he will answer all these questions.
... demystify the tool and make it easy, all in a good mood ...
… An unforgettable stay in a unique place… (comments from trainees)
Stay in Espezel
Located on the Sault plateau at nine hundred meters above sea level, Espezel is a mountain village. It is moderately hot in summer and winter can be harsh, with snow possible from Christmas to April.
The arrival is done if possible the day before the course, we will take the time to settle in and we will have dinner together to get to know each other. Theoretical lessons, portrait and still life shots will take place indoors, landscape is also planned in the surroundings. We will have lunch with a snack in the classroom or on the go. For dinner, we can try the organic products of the surroundings.
It is possible, if you wish, to stay two or three days after the course, which will allow us to practice landscape shooting while visiting the surroundings. We can visit the prehistoric cave of Niaux, take a bath at Ax les Thermes or ski in the surroundings.
FIVE DAY COURSE - BEGINNERS WELCOME
Techno-scientific education is limited to what is strictly essential. You can practice on several types of cameras and initiate a personal artistic reflection on the use of the large format.
The five-day program is deliberately a bit "too long", the aim being real practice and not just an introduction. At the end of the course, freed from apprehension and rational calculations, your hands will go on their own on the right setting.
Studious work in a friendly atmosphere. Beginners are welcome, an introduction to film photography is planned.
- Large format camera: operation, folding and monorail, accessories
- Sheet films: loading, unloading, development & scanning
- Exposure: focal length and distance, circle of confusion, aperture, exposure time, reciprocity and Schwarzschild effect, calculation of depth of field, bellows factor, light measurement
- Specific movements: perspective correction, image circle, Scheimpflug's law
- History of photography: slide shows. From the invention of the camera to the use of the large format in contemporary photography.
- Portfolio review, bring your book if you wish.
- And most importantly, good mood!
NEXT WORKSHOP MARCH 9-13 2020
please note enrolment Dead Line: March 6th
- Formula with accommodation: 700 € - the price includes education, consumables, accommodation and breakfasts at Espezel, it does not include lunches or dinners (limited places, please inquire)
- Formula without accommodation: 500 € - the price includes education and consumables, it does not include accommodation or meals
- Solo formula, if you want a private lesson: 800 € - the price includes education, consumables, accommodation and breakfasts at Espezel, it does not include lunches or dinners. We can agree on a date of your choice and the workshop can be given elsewhere (charges may apply).